This three-day instructor-led course provides students moving from earlier releases of SQL Server with an introduction to the new features in SQL Server 2016.
The primary audience for this course are existing database professionals with experience of SQL Server 2014 who want to update their skills to SQL Server 2016. Additionally this course is for existing SQL Server 2014 MCSAs who want to prepare for the Upgrade exam for SQL Server 2016 certification.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key capabilities and components of SQL Server 2016
- Describe new and enhanced features in SQL Server performance
- Describes new and enhanced features in SQL Server security
- Describe what’s new in SQL Server Availability and Scalability
- Describe new and enhanced features in reporting and PowerBI in SQL Server 2016
- Describe new and enhanced data access features
- Describe new and enhanced features in SQL Server OLAP
- Describe new SQL Server cloud functionality
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Experience of building and managing database, data warehouse, and business intelligence (BI) solutions with SQL Server 2014.
- Familiarity with the Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system and networking.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
1 Introduction to SQL Server 2016
Describe key capabilities and components of SQL Server 2016.
- Overview of SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2016 Editions and Components
- Installing SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server Management Studio Enhancements
- Exploring SQL Server 2016
2 What’s New in SQL Server Performance
This module describes new and enhanced features in SQL Server performance.
- Operational Analytics
- In-memory OLTP Enhancements
- Query Store
- Live Query Statistics
- Native JSON
- Temporal Tables
- Implementing SQL Server 2016 Performance Improvements
3 What’s New in SQL Server Security?
This module describes new and enhanced features in SQL Server security.
- Using Always Encrypted
- Row-level Security
- Dynamic Data Masking
- Implementing SQL Server 2016 Security Improvements
4 What’s New in SQL Server Availability and Scalability?
This module introduces what’s new in SQL Server Availability and Scalability.
- Enhanced AlwaysOn Availability Groups
- What’s New with tempdb?
- Use Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016
- PowerShell 5.0
5 What’s New in SQL Server Reporting and BI
This module introduces reporting and BI enhancements and new features in SQL Server 2016.
- Reporting Services Enhancements
- PowerBI Enhancements
- Mobile Report Publisher
6 What’s New in SQL Server Data Access?
At the end of this module you will be able to describe data access enhancements in SQL Server 2016.
- What’s new in Integration Services
- Working with SSIS and Azure
- Exploring the new features of SQL Server Integrated services (SSIS)
7 New and Enhanced Features in SQL Server OLAP
This module describes enhancements in SQL Server OLAP.
- New and Enhanced Features in SQL Server OLAP
- What’s New in SQL Server Analysis Services
8 What’s New for SQL Server in the Cloud?
This module describes new SQL Server cloud functionality.
- Stretch Database
- Enhanced Backups to Azure
- Introduction to SQL Server 2016 Hybrid Cloud
- What’s New in SQL Server Azure Database